• Departments
  • Commissioners Court
  • Elected Officials
  • Courts
  • Justice of the Peace Courts
  • Constables
  • Employment Doing Business Our Community How Do i...
  • Apply For
  • Search For
  • Access
  • Pay
  • Register For
  • View
  • OpenBooks

    Frequently Asked Questions

    General Questions

    Search items by entering keyword(s) in the search field. The table will filter the results as you type. Click the header of a column to alphabetically sort the items. Click again to reverse the order of the sort.

    # Question Answer
     1 I don't need help with food.  Why do I have to apply for food stamps? Food Stamps are an example of an "outside resource" for which you may qualify.  The money you save by using foood stamps can be used to pay for other basic needs, such as rent and utilites.
     2 I have an income, but I have a large family.  Can you deduct what I pay for rent and other expenses?
    The GROSS INCOME is looked at when determining eligibility.  We do not deduct any amount for rent, childcare or other expenses.
     3 Will I get assistance today?
    It may be one or more days before an appointment is given to you.  A TCDHS caseworker will call you back to complete a telephone pre-screening interview.  If potentially eligible, you will be issued an application packet.  When we receive your entire completed application and documents, we will review them and determine if you may be eligible for assistance.  If potentially eligible, you will be scheduled a face-to-face interview.
     4 I used to be on Section 8 housing, but I gave it up because I didn't want to get help from the government all the time.  Now, I just became injured and can't work.  Can I get assistance? If you lose any benefits, either by choice or because you failed to follow another agency's rules, you will not be eligible for assistance.
     5 I was denied food stamps because I did not turn in all my paperwork in time.  Can you help me? Applicants in this situation must re-apply for food stamp benefits and provide a food stamp award letter.
     6 I was denied food stamps because I have a late model car.  Will this keep me from getting help from your agency? Owning a vehicle will not prevent you from qualifying for assistance.
     7 Are refugees eligible for assistance? Applicants must be legal permanent residents or U.S. citizens in order to receive assistance.
     8 I received a denial letter.  Can I appeal?
    Yes.  Call our main office at 817-531-5620 within 10 days of the denial and select option 4.   
    This page was last modified on August 19, 2015


    County Telephone Operator 817-884-1111

    Tarrant County provides the information contained in this web site as a public service. Every effort is made to ensure that information provided is correct. However, in any case where legal reliance on information contained in these pages is required, the official records of Tarrant County should be consulted. Tarrant County is not responsible for the content of, nor endorses any site which has a link from the Tarrant County web site.

    This site is best experienced with supported browsers: Internet Explorer 9 and above, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Apple Safari. If you use an older or unsupported browser, you might notice that some features do not function properly. Click the browser name above to learn more about the recommended browsers.

    County Seal

    100 E. Weatherford, Fort Worth, Texas 76196