Government
  • Departments
  • Commissioners Court
  • Elected Officials
  • Courts
  • Justice of the Peace Courts
  • Constables
  • Employment Doing Business Our Community How Do i...
  • Apply For
  • Search For
  • Access
  • Pay
  • Register For
  • View
  • OpenBooks

    Law Library History

    1944

    • November 20, 1944 – Commissioners' Court passed resolution creating Tarrant County Law Library
    • December 1, 1944 – Effective date of Commissioners' Court resolution
    • Homa S. Hill, referred to by some as the "Father of the Law Library," became the first Chairman of the Library Committee

    1945

    • May 17, 1945 – George W. Steere chosen as the first Law Librarian
    • July 1945 – Law Library's Rules and Regulations adopted by Commissioners' Court
    • October 1, 1945 – Library officially opened to the public (located in 1895 Courthouse)

    1946

    • January 1, 1946 – Law Library and Court of Appeals jointly hired a janitor, Sherman Williams, to replace the previous janitor, Israel Batteau, who passed away in December 1945

    1948

    • George W. Steere passed away
    • Gueneth A. Babcock became the second Law Librarian

    1958

    • Law Library and Court of Appeals moved to second floor of old Civil Courts Building

    1962

    • Temporary, acting librarian, Alice Heaton, took over duties in the Law Library during Babcock's illness
    • Gueneth A. Babcock passed away
    • Dell DeHay became the third librarian and the first professional Law Librarian to serve at Tarrant County Law Library

    1969

    • Homa S. Hill ended his service as Chairman of the Library Committee after 25 years

    1970

    • Robert "Bob" Hobbs selected as Chairman of the Library Committee

    1973

    • Jerry Hoodenpyle became Chairman of the Library Committee

    1974

    • Jack C. Wessler became the Chairman of the Library Committee

    1975

    • Frances Perry hired as Assistant Librarian

    1977

    • April 23, 1977 – Jane G. Olm conducted an independent review of the Tarrant County Law Library and gave high praises to it and Librarian Dell DeHay

    1979

    • Commissioners' Court officially changed the library's name to Dell DeHay Law Library of Tarrant County in honor of her many years of service
    • Dell DeHay passed away
    • Frances Perry became the fourth Law Librarian

    1981

    • Law Library opened two branch libraries at Tarrant County (Junior) College Northeast campus and University of Texas at Arlington

    1982

    • Sharon Wayland hired as Assistant Librarian

    1983

    • December 3, 1983 – Law Library moved back to newly renovated 1895 Courthouse

    1985

    • Smoking banned in Law Library

    1988

    • Jack C. Wessler announced he would step down as Chairman of the Library Committee after 14 years
    • Wallace Craig named Chairman of the Library Committee
    • Peggy Martindale hired as Assistant Librarian for Public Services

    1989

    • December 1989 – Frances Perry retired from Law Librarian position, but stayed on part-time

    1990

    • Sharon Wayland became fifth Director of Law Library (head of library no longer referred to as Law Librarian)

    1991

    • Sharon Wayland and Peggy Martindale helped found Tarrant County Association of Law Libraries
    • Law Library's phone system upgraded and current telephone numbers assigned

    1997

    • Judge Michael Schattman named Chairman of the Library Committee

    1999

    • Richard Bourland and Dennis Sheehan named as joint Chairmen of the Library Committee
    • November 1, 1999 – Law Library no longer open on Saturdays

    2000

    • Tarrant County Bar Association passed resolution in opposition to Law Library's merger with Texas Wesleyan School of Law Library

    2005

    • Law Library adopted new Library Advisory Committee with Commissioners' Court approval

    2006

    • Judge David Evans named Chairman of Library Advisory Committee

    2008

    • Law Library officially closed its two branch libraries

    2009

    • Frances Perry retired

    2013

    • Sharon Wayland retired
    • Holly Gerber became the sixth Director of the Law Library
    • Old Civil Courts Building demolished

    2019

    • Cara Sitton became the seventh Director of Law Library

    2020

    • December 15, 2020 - Commissioners' Court passed resolution honoring Peggy Martindale for over 34 years of service.
    • Peggy Martindale retired

    2021

    • Amanda Hill hired as Assistant Director

    TARRANT COUNTY, TEXAS



    County Telephone Operator 817-884-1111

    Tarrant County provides the information contained in this web site as a public service. Every effort is made to ensure that information provided is correct. However, in any case where legal reliance on information contained in these pages is required, the official records of Tarrant County should be consulted. Tarrant County is not responsible for the content of, nor endorses any site which has a link from the Tarrant County web site.

    This site is best experienced with supported browsers: Internet Explorer 9 and above, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Apple Safari. If you use an older or unsupported browser, you might notice that some features do not function properly. Click the browser name above to learn more about the recommended browsers.

    County Seal

    100 E. Weatherford, Fort Worth, Texas 76196