Online Services Government
  • Departments
  • Commissioners Court
  • Elected Officials
  • Courts
  • Justice of the Peace Courts
  • Constables
  • Residents Visitors Business Employment

    Helen M. Markgraf Collection

    Helen M. Markgraf Collection
     
    Rosen Street Car
     
    Summary: Donor is a member of the Tarrant County Genealogical Society, the co-editor of Historic Oakwood Cemetery, and the recipient of the 2003 William E. Jary Jr. Award for preserving Tarrant County history. Sam Rosen (1868-1932) came to America from Russia at the age of 12. In 1895, he began his business career in Fort Worth as a peddler of tin goods and jewelry. He later opened a dry goods store in the area of old Fort Worth called "Hell's Half Acre" and eventually added a clothing store. He bought 1,000 acres of farmland north of Fort Worth city limits as the new stockyards and packing plants began a boom in what would become the city of North Fort Worth. In 1902 he developed the Rosen Heights subdivision, complete with a streetcar system (image shown), electricity and water systems, and an amusement park with a 50-acre lake. He also donated land for Sam Rosen Elementary School (1909) and for churches in Rosen Heights.
    • Tarrant County Marriage License for Thomas J. Andrews and Lura Dover, November 7, 1905, performed by Alonzo Monk
    • Army of the United States Honorable Discharge for William Selm Jr. Private, 6th Armored Infantry, at Fort Sam Houston, Texas, October 4, 1945. Recorded in Ector County, Texas.
    • Photograph: Photostat of above
    • Abstract of Title, Lot 8, Block 71, Rosen Heights Addition, first filing, this block is in A. T. Card survey. The abstract contains the will of Mrs. Sam Rosen, Betty Gordon Rosen and was executed by sons: Ephraim Gordon Rosen and Joel Rosen. Abstract continues title until 1951.