Online Services Government
  • Departments
  • Commissioners Court
  • Elected Officials
  • Courts
  • Justice of the Peace Courts
  • Constables
  • Residents Visitors Business Employment

    Howard M. Lock Collection

    Summary: Lock donated photographs of Camp Bowie from the World War I era as well as a pouch and copy of a letter. Organized at Camp Bowie, Fort Worth, Texas, under authority of a War Department order dated July 18, 1917, the 36th Division was composed of National Guard troops from the states of Texas and Oklahoma, as well as the US 71st Infantry Brigade - 141st and 142nd Infantry, 132nd Machine Gun Battalion; 72nd Infantry Brigade - 143rd and 144th Infantry, 133rd Machine Gun Battalion; 131st Machine Gun Battalion, 61st Field Artillery Brigade - 131st, 132nd (Light) and 133rd (Heavy) Field Artillery, 111th Trench Mortar Battery; 111th Engineers, 111th Field Signal Battalion and Trains. The Division served in France was as follows:

    1. St. Mihiel Offensive, 111th Engineers, September 12-16, 1918;
    2. Meuse-Argonne Offensive, 111th Engineers, September 26-November 11, 1918;
    3. Meuse-Argonne Offensive (Champagne), October 7-26, 1918, 141st, 142nd, 143rd and 144th Infantry Regiments, 131st, 132nd and 133rd Machine Gun Battalions and 111th Field Signal Battalion and
    4. Meuse-Argonne Offensive, November 2-11, 1918, 141st, 142nd, 143rd and 144th Infantry Regiments, 131st, 132nd and 133rd Machine Gun Battalions and 111th Field Signal Battalion. Following the Armistice, the 36th Division was returned to the United States and demobilized at Camp Bowie, Fort Worth, Texas, in June, 1919. Images are not shown due to their size.

    Photographs

    • Company M 144th Infantry Camp Bowie, Texas, March 1918, group photo, 8 by 48 ½ inches
    • Unidentified group photograph, buildings and tents in background, 8 by 35 ¾ inches

    Miscellaneous

    • Cream colored silk pouch with embroidery and braid with words: A Happy Birthday in pink, with pink cord at top
    • Copy of a letter that was in the pouch, dated February 25, 1918, written on YMCA stationary. To "Dearest" from "Paul." Pouch was birthday gift to Viola Harris, step-mother of donor.