• Departments
  • Commissioners Court
  • Elected Officials
  • Courts
  • Justice of the Peace Courts
  • Constables
  • Employment Doing Business Our Community How Do i...
  • Apply For
  • Search For
  • Access
  • Pay
  • Register For
  • View
  • OpenBooks
    Property Tax Exemption
    The surviving spouse must have been married to a disabled veteran at the time of the veteran's death and the disabled veteran must have qualified for the 100 percent or totally disabled veteran exemption when he or she died. The property must have been the residence homestead of the surviving spouse when the disabled veteran died and remain the residence homestead of the surviving spouse. You will need a letter from the VA showing the veteran's current disability rating. Contact the VA at 800-827-1000 to get this letter. The appraisal district will not take the VA award letter. You will also need the veteran's discharge document. Contact the Tarrant Appraisal District at 817-284-0024 for more information. Their website is
    Home, Land, and Home Improvement Loans for Survivors
    The Texas Veterans Land Board administers three veteran's loan programs: The Land Loan Program, Veterans Housing Loan Program, and the Veterans Home Improvement Loan Program. The unmarried, surviving spouse of a Texas veteran who is missing-in-action (MIA), or who died in the line-of-duty, or from a service-related cause may be eligible to participate in the programs. The veteran's home of record must have been in Texas at the time of entry into the service, or the veteran must have been a legal resident of Texas at the time of death. Contact the Texas Veterans Land Board at 800-252-8387 or view their website at for more information.
    Texas Veterans Cemeteries
    The Texas State Cemetery Program provides state-managed perpetual shrines for veterans, their spouses and dependents. Burial of dependent children is limited to unmarried children under 21 years old or 23 years old if a full-time student at an approved educational institution. The cemetery representative or state cemetery program director can provide information on current charges for spouses and dependent children. The burial benefit for spouses and children does not cover funeral home charges such as the cost of a casket, cremation, viewing, flower cars or transportation of the remains and family. Currently, the Texas Veterans Land Board operates four cemeteries: the Central Texas State Veterans Cemetery in Killeen; the Rio Grande Valley State Veterans Cemetery in Mission; the Texas State Veterans Cemetery in Abilene; and the Coastal Bend State Cemetery in Corpus Christi. If you have any questions about eligibility, call the Texas Veterans Land Board at 800-252-8387.
    Hazelwood Act Educational Benefits
    The Texas Hazelwood Act is an education benefit providing eligible veterans up to 150 credit hours of tuition exemption at a state-supported college or university. To be eligible, a veteran must (1) have been a Texas resident upon entry into the military, entered into active federal duty in the State of Texas, or declared Texas as his or her home of record at the time of entry into the armed forces as documented on his or her military discharge document; (2) have a military discharge of honorable or general, under honorable conditions; and (3) not be in default on a federal education loan or student loan made or guaranteed by the State of Texas. The Hazelwood Act benefit is also extended to the dependent children and spouses of eligible veterans who died in the line of duty or as a result of injury or illness directly related to military service, are missing-in-action, or who became totally disabled for purposes of employability as a result of a service-related injury or illness. For more information about eligibility for the Hazelwood Act and the Legacy Program, go to  You may also call the Texas Veterans Commission at 877-898-3833.
    Texas States Veterans Homes
    The Texas State Veterans Homes Program offers affordable, long-term nursing care to Texas veterans, their spouses, and Gold Star Parents. The homes are located in Amarillo, Big Spring, Bonham, El Paso, Floresville, McAllen, Temple and Tyler. Further information can be obtained by calling the Texas Veterans Land Board at 1-800-252-8387 or visiting
    This page was last modified on July 06, 2015


    County Telephone Operator 817-884-1111

    Tarrant County provides the information contained in this web site as a public service. Every effort is made to ensure that information provided is correct. However, in any case where legal reliance on information contained in these pages is required, the official records of Tarrant County should be consulted. Tarrant County is not responsible for the content of, nor endorses any site which has a link from the Tarrant County web site.

    This site is best experienced with supported browsers: Internet Explorer 9 and above, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Apple Safari. If you use an older or unsupported browser, you might notice that some features do not function properly. Click the browser name above to learn more about the recommended browsers.

    County Seal

    100 E. Weatherford, Fort Worth, Texas 76196