• Departments
  • Commissioners Court
  • Elected Officials
  • Courts
  • Justice of the Peace Courts
  • Constables
  • Employment Doing Business Our Community How Do i...
  • Apply For
  • Search For
  • Access
  • Pay
  • Register For
  • View
  • OpenBooks

    Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

    Search items by entering keyword(s) in the search field. The table will filter the results as you type. Click the header of a column to alphabetically sort the items. Click again to reverse the order of the sort.

    Question Answer
    Can I have speed humps/bumps installed on my street in unincorporated Tarrant County? Tarrant County does not install speed humps. We install speed limit signs to inform drivers of the speed limits on streets and perform traffic counts (collect speeds, traffic volume, time of day) to determine speed limits. This information is provided to the Tarrant County Sheriff's Department to help with their enforcement activities.
    Do I need a building permit if my property is located in unincorporated Tarrant County? There are no building permits required for single family residential and no zoning restrictions for properties in unincorporated (outside city limits) Tarrant County. Tarrant County does not issue a Certificate of Occupancy. Businesses/Multi-family developments may be subject to the Fire Code. Please contact the Fire Marshal's Office for questions regarding the Fire Code.

    How do I get a car license tag renewal or a car title? The Transportation Services Department does not handle this activity. Please visit the Tarrant County Tax Assessor - Collector's Office.
    How do I get a driver's license or license renewal card? The Transportation Services Department does not handle this activity. Please contact the Texas Department of Public Safety at 817-590-3204.
    How do I obtain a permit for an onsite septic system? The Transportation Services Department does not handle this activity. Please contact the Tarrant County Public Health Department, Environmental Health Division at 817-321-4960.
    How do I report a pothole on a TxDOT maintained road? Citizens may report potholes on TxDOT maintained roads online at or by calling the toll-free number at 888-885-8248.
    Where is the Transportation Services Department office located? The Transportation Services Department is located in the Tarrant County Administration Building in downtown Fort Worth directly across from the historic 1895 Courthouse. The physical address is:

    100 East Weatherford Street - Room 401
    Fort Worth, Texas, 76196.
    This page was last modified on April 06, 2021


    County Telephone Operator 817-884-1111

    Tarrant County provides the information contained in this web site as a public service. Every effort is made to ensure that information provided is correct. However, in any case where legal reliance on information contained in these pages is required, the official records of Tarrant County should be consulted. Tarrant County is not responsible for the content of, nor endorses any site which has a link from the Tarrant County web site.

    This site is best experienced with supported browsers: Internet Explorer 9 and above, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Apple Safari. If you use an older or unsupported browser, you might notice that some features do not function properly. Click the browser name above to learn more about the recommended browsers.

    County Seal

    100 E. Weatherford, Fort Worth, Texas 76196