• Departments
  • Commissioners Court
  • Elected Officials
  • Courts
  • Justice of the Peace Courts
  • Constables
  • Employment Doing Business Our Community How Do i...
  • Apply For
  • Search For
  • Access
  • Pay
  • Register For
  • View
  • OpenBooks

    Question 3: I just moved to Texas. How do I title my vehicle?

    I just moved to Texas.  How do I title and register my vehicle?

    Welcome to Texas! 

    If your vehicle has never been titled in Texas before, you will need to bring in the following documents:

        1.    Original out of state title.  Please note:  If you do not have the title, or the lienholder (bank, credit union, finance co., etc.)

               has possession of your title, you should request a copy of the front and back of your title.  You will be unable to title your vehicle in

               Texas without an original title (or MCO from the dealer) and these instructions will not apply to you.  However, you may apply for a

               "Registration Purposes Only" so that you can register your vehicle here.

        2.    If you have misplaced your original title, you should request a duplicate title from the titling state.

        3.    Vehicle safety inspection that has been completed sometime in the past 90 days.  These services are available at a state-approved Safety

               Inspection Station.  The inspection facility will provide you with a Vehicle Identification Certification (Form VI30A), which you must provide to us

               with your application for Texas registration.   If your vehicle has never been titled (or registered in a foreign country), the VI30A is not required.

        3.    Acceptable form of ID.

        4.    Proof of liability insurance.  Your auto or motorcycle insurance must meet Texas liability minimums, which are 30-60-25.  If not, you

               should either increase your coverage or purchase insurance in Texas.  There are a few companies that match minimums for whatever state you

               are in:  State Farm, Allstate, AIG, Farmers, GEICO, Berkshire Hathaway, Hartford, Liberty Mutual, Nationwide, Progressive and USAA.  Please

               confirm coverage with your carrier even if it is on this list.

        5.    Form 130U (Application for Texas title).

        6.    HS-7 or other approved document from Customs, if the vehicle was last registered outside of the United States or its territories.

        7.    Form 68-A, completed by Auto Theft Task Force, if the vehicle was last registered outside of the United States or its territories.

               Please note the exemption of this form for active duty military.

        8.    Fees.


    If you have titled your vehicle in Texas before, but moved out of state and never transferred the title in another state or foreign country, you will need an acceptable form of ID, proof of insurance, and the registration fees.  The fee for a replacement license plate is $6.50.


    County Telephone Operator 817-884-1111

    Tarrant County provides the information contained in this web site as a public service. Every effort is made to ensure that information provided is correct. However, in any case where legal reliance on information contained in these pages is required, the official records of Tarrant County should be consulted. Tarrant County is not responsible for the content of, nor endorses any site which has a link from the Tarrant County web site.

    This site is best experienced with supported browsers: Internet Explorer 9 and above, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Apple Safari. If you use an older or unsupported browser, you might notice that some features do not function properly. Click the browser name above to learn more about the recommended browsers.

    County Seal

    100 E. Weatherford, Fort Worth, Texas 76196