• Departments
  • Commissioners Court
  • Elected Officials
  • Courts
  • Justice of the Peace Courts
  • Constables
  • Employment Doing Business Our Community How Do i...
  • Apply For
  • Search For
  • Access
  • Pay
  • Register For
  • View
  • OpenBooks

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Who is eligible and who can apply for WIC?

    • Pregnant Women
    • Women who are breastfeeding a baby under 1 year
    • Postpartum Women of an infant younger than 6 months
    • Infants/Children under age 5
    • Parents, guardians and foster parents of children under age 5
    • Who:     

                *  Live in Tarrant County

                *  Have a nutritional need and

                *  Meet the income guidelines*

    * Applicants who participate in the Medicaid, Food Stamps, or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) automatically meet the income eligibility by bringing proof of their participation in one of these programs

                     View WIC Income Guidelines


    Can fathers apply for WIC benefits?

    • Yes, fathers with infants and/or children under the age of 5 can apply for WIC benefits.


    Are there any requirements to qualify/apply for WIC?

    • U.S. citizenship is not required for eligibility.
    • You do not have to be married to apply.
    • You can apply if you are employed or have health insurance.
    • You can apply if you are un-employed.
    • You can apply for WIC even if you are receiving TANF, Food Stamps and Medicaid.
    • You may still be eligible for WIC even if you do not qualify for Medicaid, Food Stamps or TANF.
    • If you are a minor, you are able to apply for WIC with Identification for yourself and your infant/child.


    What benefits does WIC offer?

    • Participants will receive a combination of WIC-approved foods, depending on their category (pregnant, breastfeeding, postpartum, child, infant).
    • WIC Nutritionists help WIC participants understand how nutrition impacts the development of a healthy family, including nutrition counseling and education and food preparation.


    Do I have to pay for WIC services?

    • No, all WIC services and benefits issued are free to those who are eligible.


    Who do I notify if I have lost my WIC Lone Star Card?

    • You can contact the Tarrant County WIC Call Center at: 817-321-5400 or our State office at: 1-800-942-3678. You will not be able to receive WIC benefits without your WIC Lone Star card.

    LoneStar Card WIC card


    Where do I find my next scheduled WIC appointment date/time?

    • Your scheduled appointment will appear at the top of your last printed shopping list. If your appointment was not scheduled by your local WIC clinic, you can call 817-321-5400 to verify or schedule your next appointment.


    Do I need to bring my WIC Lone Star Card to each appointment?

    • Yes, in order to have your benefits issued, they must be loaded on your WIC Lone Star Card at the time of your appointment.
    • If you have lost your WIC Lone Star Card, you must report your card lost.


    Can I apply for WIC Services online?

    • No, all WIC services and benefits are issued at your local WIC clinic on the day of your appointment.
    • In order to have your benefits loaded to your WIC Lone Star Card, you must present the card on the day of your appointment.
    • You can attend WIC nutrition classes at your WIC clinic or take the WIC Class online. Once you complete the online class, print your confirmation and present it at your WIC clinic in order to have your WIC benefits loaded to your WIC Lone Star Card.


    What will my first WIC Appointment be like?

    • Your documents -- including income, proof of address and identification for each applicant/participant and parent/guardian applying on behalf of infant/child -- will be checked to determine if you are eligible to receive WIC benefits.
    • WIC applicants will be weighed, measured and have iron level screened.
    • You will receive nutrition counseling that meets your family’s concerns. Referrals to other services will be provided.
    • If you are eligible, you will be provided food benefits that are loaded on a WIC Lone Star Card.
    • If you are unable to bring in all the required documentation to your appointment, eligibility may be delayed.


    What do I need to do if I am moving to Tarrant County from another city/county/state?

    • If you are moving to Tarrant County, you may go to your local WIC office to initiate your transfer request. You may also call 817-321-5400 to have your transfer request initiated by phone. The transfer process varies depending on the city/county/state you are moving from and the information received. Once your transfer request is complete, you will be scheduled a WIC appointment at your local WIC office. Be sure to bring in all your current WIC information from the city/county/state you are moving from.
    This page was last modified on May 17, 2018


    County Telephone Operator 817-884-1111

    Tarrant County provides the information contained in this web site as a public service. Every effort is made to ensure that information provided is correct. However, in any case where legal reliance on information contained in these pages is required, the official records of Tarrant County should be consulted. Tarrant County is not responsible for the content of, nor endorses any site which has a link from the Tarrant County web site.

    This site is best experienced with supported browsers: Internet Explorer 9 and above, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Apple Safari. If you use an older or unsupported browser, you might notice that some features do not function properly. Click the browser name above to learn more about the recommended browsers.

    County Seal

    100 E. Weatherford, Fort Worth, Texas 76196