I just moved to Texas. How do I title and register my vehicle?
Welcome to Texas!
If your vehicle has never been titled in Texas before, you will need to bring in the following documents:
1. Original out of state title. Please note: If you do not have the title, or the lienholder (bank, credit union, finance co., etc.)
has possession of your title, you should request a copy of the front and back of your title. You will be unable to title your vehicle in
Texas without an original title (or MCO from the dealer) and these instructions will not apply to you. However, you may apply for a
"Registration Purposes Only" so that you can register your vehicle here.
2. If you have misplaced your original title, you should request a duplicate title from the titling state.
3. Vehicle safety inspection that has been completed sometime in the past 90 days. These services are available at a state-approved Safety
Inspection Station. The inspection facility will provide you with a Vehicle Identification Certification (Form VI30A), which you must provide to us
with your application for Texas registration. If your vehicle has never been titled (or registered in a foreign country), the VI30A is not required.
4. Proof of liability insurance. Your auto or motorcycle insurance must meet Texas liability minimums, which are 30-60-25. If not, you
should either increase your coverage or purchase insurance in Texas. There are a few companies that match minimums for whatever state you
are in: State Farm, Allstate, AIG, Farmers, GEICO, Berkshire Hathaway, Hartford, Liberty Mutual, Nationwide, Progressive and USAA. Please
confirm coverage with your carrier even if it is on this list.
6. HS-7 or other approved document from Customs, if the vehicle was last registered outside of the United States or its territories.
7. Form 68-A, completed by Auto Theft Task Force, if the vehicle was last registered outside of the United States or its territories.
Please note the exemption of this form for active duty
If you have titled your vehicle in Texas before, but moved out of
state and never transferred the title in another state or foreign
country, you will need an acceptable form of ID, proof of
insurance, and the registration fees. The fee for a replacement
license plate is $6.50.
County Telephone Operator 817-884-1111
Tarrant County provides the information contained in this web site as a public service. Every effort is made to ensure that information provided is correct. However, in any case where legal reliance on information contained in these pages is required, the official records of Tarrant County should be consulted. Tarrant County is not responsible for the content of, nor endorses any site which has a link from the Tarrant County web site.
This site is best experienced with supported browsers: Internet Explorer 9 and above, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Apple Safari. If you use an older or unsupported browser, you might notice that some features do not function properly. Click the browser name above to learn more about the recommended browsers.