Online Services Government
  • Departments
  • Commissioners Court
  • Elected Officials
  • Courts
  • Justice of the Peace Courts
  • Constables
  • Residents Visitors Business Employment

    Marvin Wilson Collection

    Joshua book cover

    Summary: Donor, a member of the Tarrant County Historical Commission, gave books, newspaper clippings, photographs, correspondence and presentations, related to Tarrant County history. Included within the collection are materials relating to donor's father-in-law Albert E. Gebert, a member of the 33rd U.S. Volunteer Infantry or "the Texas Regiment" which served during the Phillipine-American War (1898-1902). Gebert was a member of the Gilmore Expedition in the Phillipines which was ordered to rescue Lieutenant Gilmore and 24 American soldiers. Donor has given portions of Gebert's military collection to the U. S. Army Military History Institute at Carlisle, Pennsylvania. Many items in the collection relate to marker dedications throughout the county.

     

    Publications
    • Joshua Historical Committee. Joshua: As it was and is 1853-1976. Cleburne, Texas: Bennett Printing Company, 1977 (Image shown)
    • Dallas County Heritage Society, the Dallas Historical Society and Sixth Floor Museum. Legacies, A Historical Journal for Dallas and North Central Texas. Spring 2000
      • The Lost Cause in Dallas, Texas, 1894-1897
      • The Development of Automobile Roads in Dallas County, 1905-1926
      • Rabbi David Lefkowitz of Dallas, A Rabbi for All Seasons
      • Stoney Burns and Dallas Notes: Sex, Drugs, and Rock and Roll Versus Conservative Values
    • Lone Star Park at Grand Prairie, Inaugural Season Souvenir Magazine, 1997
    • Hamilton H. Howze, General, USA, Retired. With foreword by William C. Westmoreland, General, USA, Retired. The Tragic Descent, America in 2020. Fort Worth: The Summit Group
    • Ada Morehead Holland. Mr. Claude. College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1984
    • Hardy-Heck-Moore Inc. Preservation Consultants. Historic Resources of Arlington, Texas. April, 1987, reprinted April, 1996, by the Department of Planning and Development Services, City of Arlington
    • Arlington's Path to Post-Suburbia: doctoral dissertation of David Lynn Cannon. Copyright by David Lynn Cannon, 2000. University of Texas at Arlington, May 2000, examining dynamic growth of City of Arlington from 1950 - 2000. Machine copy.
    • Paul N. Spellman. Spindletop Boom Days. Clayton Wheat Williams Texas Life Series, no. 9. College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 2001
    Military
    • Luther Rector Hare, typed two-page biography by G. C. Jones, Ex. Sergeant A Company, 33rd U. S. Vol. Inf. Appears to be for an obituary for "Jawbone" newsletter for the 33rd. Colonel Hare, a Texan, was the commander for the rescue expedition.
    • Report of Operations of 33rd Infantry, from November 16, 1899, to January 7, 1900. Typed copies headed from Vigan, Luzon, P. I., March 7, 1900. It is believed to be written by Theodore Schultz.
    • Officers of the 33rd Infantry, in camp at Presidio, San Francisco, Sept. 23, 1899. Three machine copies of the photograph. Includes John A. Hulen, later commander of Camp Bowie, Fort Worth
    • I Don't Want Any More Cuba, lyrics to song after Spanish-American War
    • The Rescue of Lieutenant Gillmore by Maj. Gen. Robert L. Howze. ARMY, June 1961. Account submitted by Maj. Gen. Hamilton H. Howze, son of the writer who had participated in the rescue and later served as Commandant of Cadets at West Point. Maj. Gen. H. H. Howze lived in Fort Worth. Letter from H. H. Howze to Marvin Wilson accompanies article, October 27, 1987.
    • The Gillmore Expedition and Other Experiences in the Philippine, program given by Albert E. Gebert, late 2nd Lieutenant 33rd Infantry, U. S. V. Read at the Dinner Meeting of the Illinois Commandery, Auditorium, Chicago, February 18, 1911
    • Letter from A. E. Gebert to his mother, from Luzon, January 18, 1900. He is requesting her help in getting a commission. Attached is an account from his diary giving his experiences in the Philippines.
    • Copies of Dispatch from Capt. Davis to Gebert, with note on back from Sgt. Johnson
    • Copy of notification of Gebert's promotion, June 10, 1900
    • Copy of confidential note from Julius K. Polk to Gebert. April 6, 1900
    • History of the 33rd United States Volunteer Infantry. Written by Musgrave, with help of Albert Gebert and his diary
    • Highlights of history of the 33rd Infantry, U.S.V., taken from data compiled by Colonel Theodore Schultz, former Captain of Company K. Author unknown. This account gives details not previously covered in the official history.
    Biographical Files
    • Owens, Dr. May
      • magazine articles copied from Texas Medicine, June 1988; Tarrant County Physician, May 1988; AURA, May/June 1988
      • Cover letter from Dr. Charles A. Rush to Marvin Wilson, April 11, 1989
    • Lilly, Bob
      • "Football to Photography," Fort Worth Star-Telegram, December 25, 1988
    • Mitchell
      • Photocopies of correspondence from Samuel Mitchell (near Mansfield) to family in Ohio, October 25, 1854; May 12, 1867; December 11, 1868
      • Photocopies of correspondence from Capt. D. W. Mitchell to his family from the field during the Civil War. Capt. Mitchell fought under the Union flag, while his brother Samuel fought for the Confederacy, June 7, 1862; December 24, 1862; January 16, 1863. One letter from his daughter Jennie Mitchell to an aunt, dated April 18, 1863
      • Photocopy of photograph of Capt. D. W. Mitchell, taken at J. B. Wilson Studio, Chicago. Copy of veterans' reunion, D. W. Mitchell Post, members in Ohio. Capt. Mitchell was killed at Gettysburg. Copy of page from book on history of Cooke County that details experiences of Union sympathizers in that county. Portion of 1893 Sam Street map showing location of Samuel Mitchell Survey in southeastern Tarrant County.
    • Gebert
      • Machine copies of three photographs: Gustav Gebert (father of Albert and Edward Albert Gebert), who married Josie Mitchell (daughter of Capt. D. W. Mitchell, killed at Gettysburg); Winona Gebert, daughter of Edward Albert Gebert, who was killed in Manila in World War II; and Rose Gebert, daughter of Edward Albert Gebert.
    • Wilemon, Ernest
      • "Rap Out 13 Hits in 17-3 Victory" by George Raborn.Texan newspaper, University of Texas, 1945.
      • Captain Zeke Wilemon, Ex-Student Plays Pro Baseball, October 1948
    Subject Files
    • Communities
      • Arlington
        • 50th Anniversary Edition, The Arlington Journal. Ten sections copied from July 30, 1948
        • Arlington Pictorial Progress Edition, The Arlington News, March 17, 1957
        • "Celebrating the Past, Looking to our Future," Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Arlington's 130th anniversary, July 2, 2006
      • Britton
        • "Restoration: Banking on the past," Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Arlington edition, by Robert Cadallader, July 28, 2006
        • "Saving Britton," Mansfield News-Mirror, by Nicholas Sakelaris, July 14, 2006
      • Dalworthington Gardens
        • Arlington Outlook, May 8, 1994
        • Fort Worth Star-Telegram, May 8, 1994
      • Grand Prairie
        • Arlington Outlook, May 8, 1994
        • Fort Worth Star-Telegram, May 8, 1994
      • Kennedale
        • Arlington Outlook, May 8, 1994
        • Fort Worth Star-Telegram, May 8, 1994
      • Mansfield
        • Arlington Outlook, May 8, 1994
        • Fort Worth Star-Telegram, May 8, 1994
      • Pantego
        • Arlington Outlook, May 8, 1994
        • Fort Worth Star-Telegram, May 8, 1994
    • Education
      • University of Texas at Arlington
        • Centennial Commemorative Edition, The Shorthorn, August 28, 1995
      • University of Texas at Arlington, History Department
        • Newsletter: Time Traveler, 22nd Annual Edition, Fall, 2004
    • Churches
      • Episcopal--St. Andrew's Episcopal
        • Frances Wayman Hogan. History of St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, Centennial Year 1975: The Story of 100 Years
    • Historical Societies
      • Arlington Historical Society
        • Arlington Honors Its Own: "The Write Stuff" program, September 27, 2003
        • Arlington Honors Its Own: "In the Winners Circle" program, August 19, 2000
        • Arlington Honors Its Own: "Back to the Future" program, November 12, 2004
        • Arlington Historical News, newsletter, September 2005, February 2006, and July 2006
        • Arlington's 130th Anniversary program and luncheon menu, Arlington Woman's Club, November 3, 2006
        • Brochure: From Horseback to Horsepower, Arlington, Texas 1880-1950. Photographic exhibition at Special Collections, University of Texas at Arlington Library. April 24 - August 30, 2006
        • Invitation: Faces of Arlington, World War II photographic exhibition. January 7 - February 4, 2007. Fielder House Museum.
    • Law Enforcement--Arlington Police Department
      • History of Arlington Police Department, by Harold Elliott. Five-page, typed history. February 24, 2008
    Photographs
    • Mount Olivet Cemetery marker dedication, seven 3.5 by 5 inches photographs. Show marker, McPeak family and descendants, dignitaries at roster, Howard McPeak, Cynthia Beeman, County Commissioner J. D. Johnson and various scenes of guests, October 4, 1987
    • Fort Worth Stockyards, Horse and Mule Barns marker dedication. 5 by 3.5 inches photograph of entrance to Mule Alley; event was also the occasion for a reunion of the "Old Hands" of the Stockyards, October 24, 1987
    • Earle C. Driskill marker dedication, with Beryl Gibson, Dee Barker, Evelyn Cushman, Betty Wilson, Oliver Cozby and Glenn Day, five photographs, 5 by 3.5 inches. October 25, 1987
    • James Tracy Morehead marker dedication with students involved in research that culminated in marker application and Dee Barker. Thirteen 4 by 6 inches photographs, May 2, 1987
    • Fort Worth Elks Club, now being used by YWCA, undated
    • Harrison Cemetery, January 3, 2004
    • Vought House, 718 W. Abram Street
    • Friday House, 1906 Amber Circle
    • Mayor Barnes House, E. Abram (1504 W. Abrams), Barney Barnes
    • Thornton House, 709 E. Abram. Horace and Margaret Thornton
    • Looking south, Old Town Historical District
    • Green house, 312 N. Oak (Kristina Rumans)
    • Pioneer trail historical marker, Battle of Village Creek, on Green Oaks
    • Pioneer trail marker for Battle of Village Creek, near site where John B. Denton was killed, on Green Oaks
    • Pioneer trail marker, near site of one of the Battles of Village Creek, in Heritage Park on Eastchase
    • Entrance gates to Top of the Hill Terrace
    • Signage marking beginning of Old Town Neighborhood District, looking north, Mesquite Street
    • Hitching block at 300 block of N. Mesquite (Houston family)
    • Hitching post at 200 block of N. Center Street, showing rock wall with steps behind.
    • Hitching post at 200 block of N. Center Street.
    • Four photographs of three cabins that were moved from Johnson Plantation Cemetery to Knapp Heritage Park on Front Street, near City Hall. Moved December 4, 2003. Watson Log House (1855), Jopling-Melear Cabin (1863) and one room school building (c.1910).
    • Portraits (3.5 by 5 inches color, made by donor in 1987) of members of the Tarrant County Historical Commission
      • Dee Lynn Aguilar, two prints
      • Frances M. Allen, three prints
      • Dee Barker, four prints
      • William Cantwell, one print
      • Oliver Cozby, four prints
      • Evelyn Cushman, three prints
      • Joye Evetts, three prints
      • Jenkins Garrett, two prints
      • Pamela Holland, two prints
      • Carla Hoskins, three prints
      • Sue McCafferty, two prints
      • Quentin McGown IV, two prints
      • Ruby Schmidt, four prints
      • Drusilla Cochran Sheldon, two prints
      • Ralph Walker, two prints
      • Gardiner Williams, three prints
      • Bette Wilson, one print
      • George Younkin, two prints
    • Top of the Hill marker dedication, 19 images, May 17, 2004
    • Masonic bell (Steel's Tavern) in Courthouse Rotunda, six images, May 6, 2004
    • Baker Funeral Home marker dedication, 17 images, June 19, 2004
    • Arlington scenes, Chamber of Commerce proposal portfolio. Scenes include: First Methodist Church; Arlington High School gym; Center Street; Eastern Star Home; Highway 80; 3D Stock Farm; Main Street; Meadowbrook Park and pool; Mineral Well, North Side School, North Texas Agricultural College; 1946
    • Marker Dedication of Fort Worth Elk's Lodge no. 124, 512 W. 4th , Fort Worth, March 1, 1989. Building owned by YWCA at time of dedication. 20 color photographs, 4 by 6 inches, with negatives.
      • Ibbie Elliget welcoming guests
      • Ibbie Elliget with unidentified woman holding program
      • Unidentified woman speaking at podium
      • Unidentified woman, with Ibbie Elliget in background
      • Unidentified woman at podium, Ibbie Elliget to side
      • Unidentified woman, with Ibbie looking down
      • Quentin McGown with couple at reception
      • Sarah Walker at reception with unidentified woman
      • Quentin McGown at podium, (Chairman of TCC)
      • Quentin McGown and Sarah Walker unveiling marker
      • Sarah Walker at marker
      • Quentin McGown and Sarah Walker smiling at crowd, with marker
      • Quentin McGown addressing crowd
      • Interior of main lobby with streamers, crowd at reception
      • Women in front of display panels at reception
      • Unidentified women at reception
      • Bar at reception
      • Unidentified women around marker on easel
      • Unidentified women
      • Unidentified women with Quentin McGown and Bette Wilson, marker chairman
    • Notification of award to Dr. Francaviglia, at his University of Texas at Arlington office, Lela Standifer, Dr. Francaviglia, Cindy Wilson-Arrick, and Marvin Wilson
    • Randol Mill, 8 by 10 inches, black and white scanned copy of original at Fielder House collection
    • Reverend Andrew Shannon Hayter, 4 by 6 inches, black and white image, scanned from an unknown book.
    • Rev. A. S. Hayter, 1st Worshipful Master of Masonic Lodge no. 438 in Johnson Station. 5 3/4 by 7 3/8 inches black and white scanned image from original at Fielder House collection, Arlington.
    • Dead Man's Crossing, Arlington, 10 5/8 by 6 inches black and white image scanned from unknown source.
    • Cabins Moved to Knapp Heritage Park, 201 West Front Street, Arlington: P. A. Watson cabin, Joplin-Melear cabin and North Side School (temporarily)
    • 130th Celebration, City of Arlington, Tarrant County Historical Commission historical marker dedication, 11 digital photographs on a compact disc
    • South Center Historic District, Arlington, city landmarks dedication, 19 digital photographs on a compact disc
    • Grace Chapel School, copy, 9 by 7 inches, black and white
    • Grace Chapel School, on Arlington Webb Road (now called Hwy 360), 1930s
    • Grace Chapel Home demonstration Club, 1938. Community of Grace Chapel was incorporated into Arlington in 1985.
    • Grace Chapel lunch room. B. C. Goodwin, principal. 1930s or early 1940s
    • Watson School, 1901. Sign boy is holding says West Fork. 10 by 7 inches Black and white copy
    • Watson School and Church building, burned in 1924. 9 by 7 inches, black and white copy. Second church building, possibly 1901-1924.
    • Watson School, 1938. Helen Spence and pupils. Loaned by Mildred Wheeler Hilbun. 6 by 4 inches, black and white copy. School was frame in the rear with rock facade in the front.
    • Watson School, 1940. Children from left to right: Rosalie Benton, Jacqueline Etter, Patsy Morgan, unknown, Mildred Wheeler, Billie Ruth Swaim, Durwood Polk, Levita Feemster. Loaned by Mildred Wheeler Hilburn. 6 by 4 inches, black and white copy
    • Watson School, A Capella Choir, 1942. Back row from left to right: Mildred Wheeler, Mary Wheeler, Helen Sue Reese, Patsy Nell Morgan. Front row: Billie Ruth Swaim, Vida Mae Bellamy, Jacquelyn Etter. 8 by 5 inches black and white copy. Loaned by Mildred Wheeler Hilbun.
    • Fish Creek School (1870 - 1936). Students, unknown date. 10 by 4 inches black and white copy. (Exterior doesn't match number 14, clapboard in different directions, one is possibly mis-attributed.)
    • Fish Creek School, 1893. Students and many adults pictured, 9 by 7 inches black and white copy.
    • Fish Creek School, 6th Grade class, 1933. Front row: Bob Rodin, Dennis Bradley, J. R. Cantrell (Raymond Cantrell), Dorris Hendricks, J. H. Lowe. Middle row: Janie Bardin, Ruby Beard. Back row: Phinner Norvell, Jesse Bardin, Marjorie Nell Holliday, Ruel Hendricks, James Bradley. Teacher: Henry Brannon. 7 by 5 inches, black and white copy
    • Harrison Family (William Henry Harrison family) outside their home, 8 by 10 inches, black and white
    • Harrison School and Students, 1941-1942. Rock facade school. Copy
    • Harrison Chapel. 10 by 8 inches black and white copy, no date
    • Harrison Chapel, 10 by 8 inches black and white copy, people seated in front row
    • Johnson Station School, 1941-1942, 4th and 5th grade classes. 10 by 8 inches black and white copy
    • West Fork Presbyterian Church, 1939. 10 by 8 inches black and white copy
    • Arlington, first three stores on Main Street, c. 1880s. 10 by 5 inches black and white copy
    • Lake Erie Pavilion, bridge from Interurban train station, with Texas Power and Light plant in background. 10 by 8 inches black and white copy
    • Beautiful Lake Erie and the Pavilion. (before 1907 fire that burned the two story pavilion. The building was rebuilt but only as a one story)
    • Arlington historians mapping and researching graves at Johnson Cemetery. Left to right: Nancy Bennett, Ray McCoy, Steve (unknown), Floreen Henry and Geraldine Mills. c. 2008, photographer: Marvin Wilson. 10 by 8 inches color
    • Tarrant County Historical Commission Summit Conference photo, October 30, 2008. Photos taken by Marvin Wilson. Summit took place at the Tarrant County Plaza Building, 5th floor. 32 photographs on compact disc
    Assorted
    • Arlington Preservation Foundation: Landmarks and Potential Landmarks 2005 APF Landmark Calendar. CD-R
    • Presentation of Wm. E. Jary Award to Dr. Richard Francaviglia, March 15, 2005. Presentation and reception photos. CD-R
    • Arlington Preservation Foundation 2005 Landmark Calendar. 11 by 17 inches poster
    • The Arlington Citizen, Monday, November 25, 1963. Two sections, each with eight pages. Front page: "Shocked, Stunned City Joins Nation in Mourning After President's Death"
    • A History of Arlington from Trading Post to Wrecking Ball, slide show narrated by Marvin Wilson. 39 minutes. Funded by the Arlington Preservation Foundation and produced by Steve Myers Productions DFW. DVD video, 2007
    • CD-R PowerPoint program created by donor for presentation to civic groups on the history and work of the Tarrant County Historical Commission. Revised by donor, November 24, 2009