Online Services Government
  • Departments
  • Commissioners Court
  • Elected Officials
  • Courts
  • Justice of the Peace Courts
  • Constables
  • Residents Visitors Business Employment

    Craig Maxwell Collection

    Summary: Donor is First Assistant County Auditor for Tarrant County. His grandfather, Robert V. Duncan, ran a gasoline station along the Bankhead Highway on what is now Highway 80/East Lancaster between Fort Worth and Arlington.  The business no longer stands.  The images were passed down by donor's mother, Jane Duncan Maxwell, the daughter of the business owner.  Mrs. Maxwell still lives in the area where the business was located. The Pecan Grove Filling Station was located in a pecan grove. Camping was available for a fee at the filling station. A cafe, seen in the images, was also part of the business. A Texas Historical Marker commemorating the Bankhead Highway was erected in 2011 not far from this location in Arlington. Locally, this section of road was known as the Fort Worth Pike.

    Pecan Grove Filling Station

    Pecan Grove Filling Station

    Photographs

    • Robert V. Duncan stands in front of the Pecan Grove Filling Station, approximately 1925.
    • Robert V. Duncan stands in front of the Pecan Grove Filling Station, approximately 1922.