Online Services Government
  • Departments
  • Commissioners Court
  • Elected Officials
  • Courts
  • Justice of the Peace Courts
  • Constables
  • Residents Visitors Business Employment

    Jimmy L. Bryan, Jr. Collection

     
    Summary: Bryan donated material regarding the community of Tate Springs. Tate Springs was a small crossroads community a few miles east of Fort Worth in southeastern Tarrant County now within the city limits of Arlington. In 1870 E. C. Tate, a Confederate veteran, left his war-torn home in Gordon County, Georgia, and moved to Texas, leading a wagon train of related families. He settled in southern Tarrant County between Village and Rush Creeks, and the resulting community took his name. In 1882 the Joplin School and a Baptist church were established to serve the community. A 1948 map shows Tate Springs as a few scattered dwellings, and in 1952 it was described as a church and crossroads community.
     
    • Paper: Tate Springs, Texas: A Cartographic Approach to Community History, 1997.