Housing: Portability
Tarrant County Housing
Tarrant County Housing
  | Apply for Housing | Agency Information | Latest News | Fair Housing | Family Self-Sufficiency and Home Ownership | Forms and Publications | Frequently Asked Questions | General Information | Program Participants | Property Owners and Landlords | Housing | Home Login | Register | Show Images | Home 
Administration Building
Program Participants


Within the limitations of HUD regulations, a participant family or an applicant family that has been issued a Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) has the right to use the voucher to lease a unit anywhere in the United States, providing that the unit is located within the jurisdiction of a housing authority administering HCVs.

The process by which a family obtains a voucher from one housing authority (HA) and uses it to lease a unit in the jurisdiction of another HA is known as "Portability".


Under HUD regulations, Tarrant County Housing Assistance Office (TCHAO) may deny permission to port-out if the HA has insufficient funding to do so or if there are grounds for denial or termination of assistance. Permission to port must be first approved in advance by TCHAO. The family must complete and submit to TCHAO a "Request For Portability" form*.

The family must specify the location to which they wish to move and have been on the program for at least one year.

To request a transfer to another Public Housing Agency, complete the Port Request Form. If you are not sure which Public Housing Agency to use, visit http://www.hud.gov/offices/pih/pha/contacts for a complete list of Public Housing Agencies.


Families on Section 8 residing in jurisdictions (cities/places) outside of Tarrant County who wish to relocate to Tarrant County should contact the housing authority that issued them the voucher they are holding and request approval to relocate.

When TCHAO receives all of the necessary paperwork from your housing authority (form HUD 50058, form HUD 52266, verifications from the last re-certification, identification information, etc.), TCHAO will schedule an appointment, by mail, in writing, with the program participant.

Families requesting to port-in or port-out are encouraged to be sure that they have available funds for transportation of their families and household goods, rent and utility deposits, and other incidentals involved in moving.

Content Last Modified on 1/13/2009 11:29:13 AM

Tarrant County Housing Assistance Office (TCHAO)
2100 Circle Drive
Fort Worth, Texas 76119
(817) 531-7640 (Main Number)       (817) 531-7657 (Fax)       (817) 531-7686 (TDD)


Privacy Policy   |  Accessibility Statement   |  Contact Webmaster
Media Inquiries    |   General Information   |  Public Information Act

County Telephone Operator: 817- 884-1111

Tarrant County provides the information contained in this web site as a public service. Every effort is made to ensure that information provided is correct. However, in any case where legal reliance on information contained in these pages is required, the official records of Tarrant County should be consulted. Tarrant County is not responsible for the content of, nor endorses any site which has a link from the Tarrant County web site.

100 E. Weatherford, Fort Worth, Texas 76196
Copyright 2001-2015 Tarrant County, TX