Tarrant County - Family Courts
The Tarrant County Court system is comprised of Civil Courts, Criminal Courts, Family Courts, Magistrate's Court, Probate Courts and the Justices of the Peace.
The Tarrant County Courts are housed in the Tarrant County Courthouse, the Civil Courts Building, the Criminal Courts Building and the Justice Center.
The Tarrant County Courthouse was designed by firm of Gunn & Curtis and built by the Probst Construction Company of Chicago, 1893-1895. This red Texas granite building, in Renaissance Revival style, closely resembles the Texas State Capital with the exception of the clock tower. The cost was $408,840 and citizens considered it such a public extravagance that a new County Commissioners' Court was elected in 1894.
The Tarrant County Criminal Courts Building was built in 1917-18 and is located on land upon which old Camp Worth was constructed in 1849. The noted Fort Worth architectural firm of Sanguinet and Staats designed the building, incorporating elements of the Beaux Arts and Classical Revival styles. In addition to a criminal courtroom, it originally housed the jail and gallows, a jail hospital, mental wards, and offices for the Sheriff, District Attorney, and District Clerk.